Ingrown Toenails and How You Can Prevent Them
When a toenail gets stuck or grows into the corners of your toes, it can become inflamed and cause irritation. Ingrown toenails are painful and can cause discomfort if not treated properly.
This condition is also common among older adults. According to the Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care, “Older people are less flexible, making it difficult for them to take care of their feet and toenails. Because toenails get thicker with age, it’s harder to cut them, too.”
If you don’t have the time to properly care for your senior’s nails, then it’s time to contact Supportive Personal Care Services to help. We offer reliable personal care services in Brown Deer that aim to improve the health and comfort of our clients at home and in the community.
Our personal care agency in Wisconsin offers nail care as part of our services. Because of this, we also would like to share some tips on how you can prevent your senior’s ingrown nails at home.
- Let your senior wear comfy shoes that don’t crowd their nails.
- Always cut their nails short and straight. Curved nails are more likely to grow sideways and dig into the skin.
- If your senior has a nail infection, seek help immediately. A visit to the podiatrist will give you expert advice on how to care for toes.
- Have your senior’s toes cleaned regularly. You can soak your senior’s feet once a week with water and soap to soften dirt buildup for easier removal.
- Enlist the help of homecare services in Milwaukee. Expert caregivers can properly care for your loved one while you’re away from home.
For more senior health tips, don’t hesitate to send us a message.